How Does a Database Work?
- What format is data saved in? (in memory and on disk)
- When does it move from memory to disk?
- Why can there only be one primary key per table?
- How does rolling back a transaction work?
- How are indexes formatted?
- When and how does a full table scan happen?
- What format is a prepared statement saved in?
In short, how does a database work?
I’m building a clone of sqlite from scratch in C in order to understand, and I’m going to document my process as I go.
Table of Contents
“What I cannot create, I do not understand.” – Richard Feynman
sqlite architecture (https://www.sqlite.org/arch.html)